Deferred Payment Options
Deferred payments are used when one or more of the items you sell fall under any of the following scenarios.
- Shipping cannot be calculated during the checkout process.
- An item or order must be custom manufactured and cannot be accurately priced in real time.
- One or more product "styles" must be custom manufactured and cannot be accurately priced in real time.
- You must have contact with the customer after the order is placed before you are able to finalize the total of the order.
We have 2 options on deferring payments. See attributes.defercapturecredit from Application.cfm Settings below.
- Capture the customer's credit card number and run it manually after the order is calculated. Please note that
any orders with deferred payments will not be processed in "real time" if you are using a real time payment gateway.
Credit card information will be captured and you must process it manually then delete it from the database.
- Defer the payment completely and have the customer return to the site to enter their payment information. This
is the best choice for real time processing. This is also a good choice if you are not using real time processing,
as the customer will have to return to the site to submit payment on the final order total. This will remove the
possibility of them saying "I didn't authorize them to charge that much" in case of a dispute.
- <cfset attributes.deferpayments = "0"> - Set this to "1" to always defer payments. To filter on the product level on whether to defer payments, leave this at "0".
- <cfset attributes.deferpaystylemark = ""> - If you enter a mark, such as * we will show this in the Style Selection menus.
You may then make a note either in the product description or in the Style Group caption to the effect of "Items marked with * are custom manufactured and cannot be priced immediately.
We will contact you via e-mail upon calculating your final total.". Note that if the Product itself has been set to trigger the Deferred payment option.
- <cfset attributes.deferpayproductmark = ""> - Same as above, but on the product level. This will appear directly after the SKU number. This one may also use just a mark,
or you may enter something like...
<cfset attributes.deferpayproductmark = "<br>Custom Manufactured">
This will cause the item "Widget" with a SKU number of "ABC" to appear as...
SKU # ABC
Conversly, entering a value such as " (CM)" will cause the item to appear as...
SKU # ABC (CM)
Again, you may place a note such as "Items marked with (CM) are custom manufactured and cannot be priced immediately.
We will contact you via e-mail upon calculating your final total." or "Custom Manufactured items cannot be priced immediately.
We will contact you via e-mail upon calculating your final total."
- <cfset attributes.defercalculateshipping = "0"> - If you are using the Deferred Payment option on the product level or the style level,
you may set this to "0" to cause shipping calculation to be deferred. This will bypass your normal shipping setup. You may then enter the shipping costs when entering
the item costs. If set to "1" shipping will be calculated by your normal setup.
- <cfset attributes.defercapturecredit = "0"> - If this is set to "1", we will capture credit card information and you will
run the transaction manually after calcualting the final total. If set to "0", the customer will return to the site
after being notified that their order has been finalized. At that point they may enter their credit card, echeck or choose another payment method if permitted.
Product Level Settings